1/26/14

RECENT WORK: Lebron Paper Collage for ESPN Magazine




It's been an especially busy time with work these days, and I haven't had a chance to share recent work here. But before too much time passes, here's a really fun project I worked on for ESPN Magazine last fall, for their NBA Preview issue. The issue was all about Lebron James, and one of the phrases the art director said when we talked, is that it would be all about "the many faces of Lebron." That stuck with me, and I proposed creating some paper art using photo cut-outs of Lebron's face, in all kinds of different expressions. The photo editor sent me hundreds of photos to work with and I edited them down to about a hundred. I cut each face out and arranged them, and photographer Dan Wonderly shot the final collage piece. Here are some process shots.

















And here's how it ran in the magazine.






ESPN Magazine 10/28/13 Lebron Issue
Illustration: Erin Jang
Designer: Jason Lancaster
Senior Art Director: Chin Wang
Photo Editor: Jim Surber
Photographer: Dan Wonderly

5 comments:

linsey said...

Oliver is going to FLIP when I show him this! He is obsessed with Lebron! (Don't know how that happened. Its the weirdest/funniest thing.) Nice work~

gang.of.four said...

this is hilarious and amazing.

Coco Cake Land said...

that is seriously so awesome! love how it was all done by hand and cut out. pretty fun commission!! :)

Dear Hancock said...

This is the best thing I have seen in forever!

Chloe said...

What a fun project! I love how you took "many faces of Lebron" and just ran with it!!
The final product looks amazing :)
xox
chloe
http://popcosmo.com