9/18/12

A Bird Book



My six-year-old nephew and I have birthdays that are just a couple days apart. Earlier this summer we were chatting at the playground about his birthday. I asked what he wanted for a birthday gift. Of course he immediately rattled off something about Spiderman and Lego kits and subway trains, and the 6 train and did I know that he was turning 6, and that the 6 train goes local and the 6 train is green... He asked if there was anything I wanted, and I mentioned to him I wanted him to make me something. Maybe a book about birds.

I did not think he remembered what I said. But a couple weeks ago, he gave me this for my birthday.








Picasso said it took him four years to paint like Raphael but a lifetime to paint like a child. I am so fascinated and impressed by the way children think and draw. Did you see how timid the chicken looks, hiding in the gutter? Or the way the owl is wearing polka dots? And how smart is the way my nephew drew the flamingo's nose, switching his crayon to black at the tip of the beak? And look at the size of the byline on the cover compared to the title. Just makes me laugh.

Thank you, Jacob. You know the way to this eemo's heart.




9 comments:

Jasmine Koh said...

That is just precious. I love looking at the details and listening to what a child says about his drawing. My 3 year old has recently begun drawing and his details are particularly intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

O Ficcionista said...

Realmente, precioso. Puro!

E inspirador, claro.

O Ficcionista said...

Realmente, precioso. Puro!

E inspirador, claro.

Won said...

i showed this to him today and you should've seen his smile. that byline cracks me up too.

cay said...

Good lands that is awesome! I need to start commissioning books from my nieces.

cheryl said...

Love it...you're so right...art by children is wonderful! So great to see what they see...BTW Belated birthday wishes to you!

sunsfromsanfrancisco said...

Awww! What a good boy. Love him!

Charissa said...

Amazing! I am a big fan of your sister's writing and seeing this gift from your nephew is so touching. He remembered! The emu is my fave.

Oficio said...

I have a bookbinding workshop and last Easter while on holidays my son came to work with me. He did a very similar book, instead of birds his book was about the animals in the jungle. I never tire of looking at this treasures.
http://oficio-blog.blogspot.com.es/2012/04/los-animales-de-la-jungla.html