8/6/11

Baby Shower


My sister created the most special baby shower for me the other week. The inspiration for it came from this beautiful, little-known Portuguese children's book about a boy's first experiences discovering the world through the senses -- his first time visiting the sea, his first time seeing colors and birds, his first time hearing the wind in the trees, smelling his grandmother, and tasting fruit.


There were so many lovely, handmade touches that my sister made with the help of my very talented friends, inspired by the book's visuals and theme of first experiences.


My friend Eunice, who is a florist, decorated the room with my favorite flowers, in the palette of the book's artwork.


Garlands of photos, and the beginning sentences of the book adorned the room.


My friend Lillian provided market baskets of Rainier cherries and strawberries (my favorite things to eat this summer) as favors, with these handwritten words: One must ask children and birds how cherries and strawberries taste. What a beautiful thought.


Homemade cupcakes and a handmade topper.


My sister made these adorable straws for an assortment of lemonades.


My nephews and my friend's daughter cut out clouds and drew birds that looked like the illustrations in the book, to decorate the table. I love the green bird -- my friend's daughter said it's supposed to be me. See the baby bird she drew inside the green bird's tummy?


My husband created our baby's "first playlist" with the essentials -- his first Coltrane, his first Nirvana, Bill Evans, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, and Bach.


Homemade wrapping paper. I love it.


Even my sister-in-law thoughtfully mailed over some special Seattle sweets and treats to share.


But the most meaningful gift of all was this framed art my sister made. The tree and leaves were inspired by the endpages of the book. She asked our friends and family to write one thing they could not wait for our little boy to experience in life -- his first ride on the D train, his first Mariners game, his first hiking trip, his first McDonald's french fry. My husband and I pored over this gift, reading and rereading all the things our friends and family wished for our little boy, realizing how much he is loved already.

35 comments:

christine said...

SO COOL!

cakeissweet said...

erin! congratulations! so wonderful :)

threetoone said...

So amazing!! Congrats!

Leslie said...

hello! i just stumbled across your blog. congrats to your and your husband! this baby shower is full of so many good and meaningful things. i love it!

LAUREN O'NEILL said...

what a lovely + thoughtful way to celebrate! every detail is so special—i just adore the framed tree. congrats!

Jenn said...

this brought tears to my eyes. congratulations to you and abe! i am excited for you both :)

michelle said...

so wonderful to be surrounded by such thoughtful loving people. congrats.

Anthony said...

The thought and attention which your family and friends have gone to to personalise every aspect of the baby shower: that is love.

Truly Smitten said...

wow!!!! what an amazing and touching baby shower! Your sister is quite the lovely sister =) - everything looked great!

jamie said...

oh how wonderful and sweet!!!!!!!!!!

grace / yookyung said...

congratulations! what a beautiful shower!

- from your longtime fan :)

grace

mattandkatrhymes said...

This is just too awesome! What a great party... and with so many heartfelt handmade personal touches.

Baby said...

Awesome!Such a wonderful Baby shower..... Congrats...so many touchable things in your party.I love it......:)Baby Sling

Victoria said...

This shower is incredibly adorable. I just love the artwork that your family compiled for you!

Carolynn Cecilia said...

That book is genius! What a wonderful baby shower idea. All the little odds and ends come together to make it amazing! Congratulations!

fine little home said...

so magical, you are lucky to have such a fabulous group of people in your lives. the framed tree full of first moments is the best...love it!

jnolan19 said...

I am looking for those teal market baskets for my wedding! I googled "teal cartons" and get egg cartons only. Can you please help me!!!! My email me with any advice on where I can find them....lp_anglin@hotmail.com

Allison {Live Love Small} said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and had to comment on how adorable sweet the baby shower looked. What a lovely blog you have!

Margot Madison Creative said...

Oh man! I think I "pinned" nearly all your photos on my Pinterest account. What an amazing mix of sophisticated and child-like artwork. Obviously, you come from quite a talented family! Best of luck to your growing family.

jonahliza said...

congrats <3 what a beautiful shower. i love that banner.

Sarah said...

Your husband has the best taste in music! I'm adding it to my Spotify list :) Congrats Erin!

Sour Patch Yoon said...

such a beautiful post. i definitely teared up. congratulations!

Barbara said...

that's so lovely and amazing

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - said...

thank you for all of your kind comments. i am so grateful to have such thoughtful loving friends. @jnolan19: you can find berry baskets at shop sweet lulu: http://shopsweetlulu.com/category/Treat-Bags-Candy-Cups/c2

Tracey said...

Words defy me. This is beautiful. That book! Oh so wonderful.

Lari Washburn said...

That's the most wonderful baby shower I've ever seen...so authentic and sweet. Many congratulations to you and your husband.

Verity {Belle Bébés} said...

We love this at Belle Bébés! http://bit.ly/p3RPl1 Please take a badge :) http://bit.ly/qmHf0t

Mrs. Good said...

Hi Erin, beautiful shower. I've always loved your blog & work. Congrats on the baby.

Bec
p.s. we also say "A-gong" for grandpa in Taiwanese. :)

Jesse said...

what a great idea for a shower, turned out so special and personal.
p.s. i just added this book to my "must have" list for our baby:)

Val in the Rose Garden said...

This may be the most adorable theme I have ever seen! :) Being from the area myself (born and raised in Oly!) I think I may have to figure out how to fit this theme into my parties... even though my 'last' was born last feb.

You baby is truely blessed!

Val

Mini Mocha said...

I am so glad I found your blog, there are so many unique and special ideas here, just lovely.

Ssanchez said...

This is a great baby shower, a lot of creative ideas.

luna said...

I totally love everything! I am so impressed! I can't wait to make something like this come the right time.

Emily said...

Found you via Pinterest...this is amazing. Thank you for sharing everything! My sister is having a baby in Sept and I want to borrow all these sweet ideas.

romina chandler said...

I found this from Pinterest. What a nice collection of ideas for baby shower. Fabulous! Easyday