6/23/11

Unpublished

One of the first projects I worked on last year when I started at Martha Stewart Living was to create an interesting design for the Table of Contents page in the July issue. The issue featured crafts, inspiration, and recipes from all 50 states, so the idea was to somehow represent that concept on a page. I spent a few days creating this paper construction (click on image to view larger):


Each state was handcut from thick stock and attached to pins at various heights. I attached string to some of the pins, so those states could be annotated with text on the page. Sadly, the paper art idea got killed at the last minute, but it was still fun to create this. Hopefully I can use this idea for another illustration assignment sometime!

8 comments:

amanda jane said...

my goodness, you are so clever.

Rachael said...

i think that's a pretty cute idea. It always sucks then the good ones get the ax.

the late afternoon said...

what a cool idea! its unfortunate it didn't make it into the magazine, but so glad you were able to share it here!

j.chong said...

this..IS SO AWESOME! love it. I'd buy it as a print... hint hint :)

Elaine said...

Wow! Love it. Amazing!

NICOMADE said...

i love this! such a great idea :)

Love Your Way said...

TOTALLY beautiful, lady. you did a great job.

Katie said...

beautiful fresh idea. i've had 3D paper art on my mind recently, weirdly enough! sorry it didnt get used- why was that?
i hope you can at least keep using strong ideas like this one, it looks like a great direction to go in :)