6/7/11

A special gift


Years ago I showed my husband some artwork by John Dilnot. I was thinking about saving up to purchase one of his colorful screenprints of birds, plants and animals for our home, but I never did get around to buying one. But the other week, for our fifth anniversary, my husband surprised me with the most special gift. He had contacted John and commissioned a custom piece for me -- a small wooden box with three indigo buntings flying over our neighborhood. It is such a meaningful gift. My husband and I are expecting our first baby this September, and this will always remind me of this time in our lives, of the start of our little family, and of the place we call home.


13 comments:

simplesong | suann said...

erin! that has to be the sweetest thing. how thoughtful of him. and happy anniversary. xo

myfavoritecolor said...

This is so beautiful. I love it. You're a lucky lady.

Neil MacLean said...

Wow, well done! Pretty amazing present.

Phil said...

Great present!
Also, congratulations to you two!

Truly Smitten said...

such a meaningful gift! and congrats on the baby news!!!!!!!!!!

Won said...

this made me tear up.

connie said...

awesome! how sweet :) can't wait to meet the baby!!

ranu said...

So beautiful! What a thoughtful gift! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - said...

Thanks for all your kind comments, we're so excited to meet our little boy in September. And yes, my husband is wonderful. :)

Miss B. said...

Oh gosh, this made me tear up this is so absolutely thoughtful and creative.Congrats!

YuMi P said...

What a thoughtful & beautiful gift! Happy anniversary and congratulations on the upcoming addition to the family!

jonahliza said...

this is so awesome, his work is beautiful. .. congrats to you and your family <3 happy summer!

homeseed said...

wow. that is amazing. what a sweet man and gift!!