9/16/09

J is 3!


My nephew J recently turned 3.

One of his favorite things is the New York subway system -- he loves identifying the subway lines and trains and calling out the numbers and letters. He is a city boy from Queens living on the 7 line. Here are some NY subway themed party favors I made:


I found these M&M candy containers at Economy Candy store in the Lower East Side (the best candy store in Manhattan, the antidote to Dylan's candy shop down the street from where I live). The colors match perfectly with the subway lines. I just cut out letters for the subway lines from adhesive paper and stuck them to the tins.


Each guest also got a small candy bag with gummy letters (for various subway lines: A, C, E, B, Q, F, N, R, W, etc!) and a gummy (subway) rat.


My sister came up with the idea to get these subway line refrigerator magnets from the MTA store. Each family got one that matched their name.



The magnets, gummies and M&M's went in small kraft bags and were sealed up with bright yellow tape and a custom label.


My amazing and creative sister completed the subway theme by making subway line party hats and cupcakes (yes, she DID make five different kinds of frosting!). The kids loved it and my nephew's mouth was purple the rest of the day from the 7-line cupcake.

22 comments:

christine said...

this makes me happy

emily said...

Cutest party ever!

Jenn Lee said...

hey erin! i love your blog and work! hope you're well :)

Jenn Lee said...

hey erin! i love your blog and work! have always been a fan. hope you're well :)

Busy Vee said...

this is FANTASTIC! I love it! So creative and hip!!! Makes me want to move back to NYC when we have a baby! We don't have cool transportation in Florida LOL

Amy said...

Such a great idea!

Apartment 20H said...

So so cute!

angela yang said...

i love the party hats and labels! you are too cool.

marlynn said...

this is amazing! love it!

made sweet said...

i love it! what a great idea for a party theme!!!

Teresa said...

This is an adorable idea. I love every last detail.

liz stanley said...

what a beautiful party! love it! and cute blog, fyi

A "cheery" disposition said...

What a clever bday party!

Abbie said...

Oh my! I love it! My friend told me about your party and I think I might have to do it for my son's 4th. His favorite thing is the subway (he yells "all aboard! choo choo! every time we ride it - seriously so funny. We actually get smiles from other riders).

Front Studio said...

fabulous! i think we should have a play group for all toddlers who love the nyc subway. i might have to use some of your ideas when my subway obsessed son turns 4.

tessa said...

This is really cool! It's so colorful. Love it!
Gold Coast Hotels

Mirutamarisen said...

Hey , Im Mirtha lockward from japan Im getting married im also a designer , here in japan is kind of hard so design and print your own, even at the wedding venue you pay for they dont let you use your own dress otherwise you have to pay extra, (CRAZY, RIGHT) stuff plus I dont have much time to do it my self so i want to contract your services so lest get in touch ok heres is my email bono.ishii@gmail.com

Not Just A Mommy! said...

Oh how fabulous! I love all the bright colors, and a fun twist on traditional train parties. May I share with my readers?

anabella said...

we just did this theme for our party, thank you so much for the idea! http://foravers.blogspot.com/2010/07/our-subway-themed-birthday-party-fun.html

allezallie said...

This is amazing! My mom also would put a lot of effort into theme parties when I was a kid. But I might have to borrow some of these ideas to plan my own party now.

marylynn said...

Love this! We want to have a nyc subway themed party for my son, who turns 1 in June. He LOVES trains, especially the subway. Are those white chocolate chips on top of the cupcakes?

marylynn said...

Love this! We want to do a nyc subway themed party for my son, who turns 1 in June. He LOVES trains, especially the subway. Are those white chocolate disks of some sort on the cupcakes?