5/31/09

Baloo's board book

I have the cutest nephews. The youngest one (his nickname is Baloo) just turned 100 days old. I wanted to make a board book for him. So one evening my husband and I came up with some rhymes for the story (what rhymes with Baloo? Poo? Shoe? Two?) and I illustrated it. This is what our brainstorming looked like:


Here is the result of that evening of writing and illustrating -- my first board book. I've always wanted to illustrate children's books one day, so this was a really fun project.


Front cover







Back cover


It's very easy to make something like this yourself. You can buy blank board books online (I bought an 8x8" one on amazon.com). You can draw directly onto the pages. Or you can do what I did and design each page, print it on adhesive label paper, trim it to size and stick it onto the board book.

See more photos of the book here.

26 comments:

christine said...

i like this VERY much *thumbs up*

yumbs said...

Umm.. you are AMAZING! This is awesome!

EliseBlaha said...

love this! very cute.

lianne said...

I LOVE THIS, ERIN!
You are the coolest eemo ever. :)

wonathome said...

coolest aunt ever. (and uncle, too!) baloo loves you!

justthelittlethings said...

so cute and clever! love it!

michelle said...

Bravo. This is such a great project.

Emily said...

How sweet - and adorable. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kate Buckley said...

Yes, very easy to do this - if you are a genius! I love this book! Absolutely spectacular. Love the nickname, too. Thanks for sharing.

abigail said...

wonderful! such a great idea and you did such a great job!
just found your blog and I'm so glad I did!

StrawberryJamFactory said...

thank you for sharing. this is so adorable! i would like to make one for my nephew too. it is such a privilege to be an eemo :D

Naushin said...

So creative- I love it!

h&b said...

you are *too awesome* !

Really, this is fabulous - well done !

h&b said...

OMG, how embarrassment !!

Look, I was sent this link from a blogger friend, and I commented thinking it was HER blog and that SHE was fabulous.

You still are, of course, and my comment stands ... but now you know why I seemed a little too familiar ;)

Truly Smitten said...

this is SO awesome! Great great illustrations and cute story

deborah said...

i approve :)

Lia said...

ummm...can u be my children's aunt? :p

Skankstas said...

wow that is darling!

Libby said...

completely adorable! thank you for sharing.

Sara said...

Oh goodness. This is too cute! Thanks for sharing. I think I will make one for my boy! =]

b said...

Wow, the book made me choke up a bit--so touching!

Anonymous said...

This is so great! Are the labels waterproof (ie, baby chew-proof)?

tiffany zajas said...

You are a seriously talented girl! I just discovered your blog today, and I can't stop looking through your archived posts. Each of your creations is so unique and designed so well...it is truly inspiring. :)

This book is adorable!

Dayo said...

That is THE cutest thing I have ever seen. You are so talented! Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

Shirley said...

I would like to make a board book with photos of faces of family members for my 7 month old, but he still chews on the books ie: Will the adhesive paper bleed or tear when chomped on? :) Thanks! If so, any recommendations?

littlebeemama said...

This has to be the cutest book! Do you mind sharing what brand did you use for the adhesive label paper?

Thanks!

littlebeemama@gmail.com